Don’t Get Sued by Instagram: 8 Guidelines You Should Follow
Of all the social media platforms, Instagram is the most visual. Through it, you can tell stories via images and personify your brand along the way. Instagram provides your customers with visual insight to what your brand is all about.
Although Instagram is very easy to download and use, there are a few legalities that you must take into consideration while marketing your business via this social media platform.
Some things to keep in mind include:
- When you customize a screenshot, make sure you follow all local privacy, intellectual property and publicity laws.
- Always default to using the glyph to show off your presence on Instagram. Only use the multi-color camera logo if you’re encouraging people to download the Instagram app.
- Don’t change the color, design or appearance of the camera logo in any way. The glyph can be used in any color, as long as all other aspects of its design stay the same.
- If you’re planning to embed Instagram content on your website, remember to provide clear attribution to Instagram and any people whose content you’re using; this content is owned by the user, not by Instagram.
- Don’t use the Instagram brand in a way that implies partnership, sponsorship or endorsement.
- If you offer an app or website that uses the Instagram APIs or is otherwise compatible with or related to Instagram, you may describe how your application, website or product relates to Instagram. Try using “[Your App Name] for Instagram” to indicate that your product is integrated with Instagram.
- When you’re talking about your presence on Instagram or how your product is integrated with Instagram, always capitalize the word Instagram and never modify or abbreviate the word.
- Instagram, InstaMeet, InstaStop, Insta, Gram, Bolt, the Instagram Logo, the Instagram Glyph and Multi-Color Camera Logos and the Bolt Logo are trademarks of Instagram and may only be used as provided in these guidelines or with Instagram’s permission.
By following all of Instagram’s identity guidelines, you can easily avoid legal issues that may pursue if not followed.